Epilepsy is a neurological disorder marked by sudden recurrent episodes of sensory disturbance, loss of consciousness, or convulsions, associated with abnormal electrical activity in the brain. About 10 – 40 % of children treated with anti – epileptic drugs remain uncontrolled and are labelled as refractory or intractable epilepsy. Recurrent seizures adversely affect early brain development, spatial learning, and memory. The incidence of epilepsy plateaus in early childhood and decreases after 10 years of age.
The ketogenic diet is one of the oldest treatments for epilepsy. Devised in 1920, the ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein and low-carbohydrate diet. It has been known from centauries that fasting ameliorates seizures. Ketogenic diet is intended to maintain the starvation or fasting metabolism over a long period of time. The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. The fats are broken down into ketone bodies. The ketone bodies pass into the brain and replace glucose as an energy source. An elevated level of ketone bodies in the blood, a state known as ketosis, leads to a reduction in the frequency of epileptic seizures.
Evia Nutrition brings to you – Ketokid, India's first balanced medical food supplement formulated for the management of refractory epilepsy.
Flavors: Vanilla flavours
Pack Size: 200g
NOT FOR PARENTERAL USE: This product is a medical food intended for use under medical supervision. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Ingredients: Bonigrasa Fat Base Powder 80%, Oleic Sunflower Oil Powder, Whey Protein Isolate, DHA, EPA, Evening Primrose Oil powder, Sucralose, Vitamins and Mineral,. Contains Natural Vanilla Flavour.
- Fats: Contains a blend of Fat powder (Bonigrasa 80), DHA, EPA and Evening primrose oil powder to improve efficacy and minimise side effects of Ketogenic diet.
- Protein: In the form of Whey Protein isolate helps maintain nutritional status and minimise complications of fat metabolism,
- Amino Acids - L-Taurine: Prevents excess activity of the brain cells by suppressing the release of excitatory neuro transmitters like nor epinephrine and acetyl choline.
- Dimethyl glycine: Has anti-convulsant effect.
- Vitamins & Minerals: Takes care of nutritional deficiency.
- Refractory epilepsy
- Pyruvate dehydrogenase deficiency (PDH)
- Glucose transporter type-1 deficiency (GLUT-1)
- Other medical conditions where a ketogenic diet is indicated
|Energy per serving with water (30)||135 Kcal|
|Energy per serving with whole milk (30g)||214.2 Kcal|
|Osmolality||280 - 290 mOsm/kg|
|Osmolarity||222 - 230 mOsm/L|
|Glycemic Index||38 - 40|
|Glycemic Load||20 - 22|
|Volume after Reconstitution|
|With water||144 ml|
|With whole milk||144 ml|
|Kcal/ml with water||0.9 Kcal/ml|
|Kcal/ml with whole milk||1.57 Kcal/ml|
|Proteins||Whey Protein Isolate|
|Fats||Bonigrasa, Oleic sunflower oil, DHA, EPA, Evening Primrose oil powder|