Gastrointestinal (GI) diseases refer to diseases involving the gastrointestinal tract, namely the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine and rectum, and the accessory organs of digestions, the liver, gallbladder, and pancreas. Loss of gut integrity from metabolic stress and illness goes hand in hand with malnutrition by causing loss of appetite, diarrhea, decreased absorption of nutrients, and increased intestinal gut permeability. Increased intestinal gut permeability allows for microbial translocation and may lead to sepsis. Those at risk for malnutrition are also at risk for compromised gut function. It should be of no surprise that in patients with impaired gut function, standard enteral formulas are not well tolerated.
In a study by Meredith et al. comparing the incidence of tube feeding related diarrhea in 2 groups of ICU patients, the researchers found that 44% of the group on a standard, intact protein formula had diarrhea versus 0% in the group on a therapeutic, peptide-based formula.
CritiCare brings to you a complete peptide based semi-elemental formula – Semital enriched with Omega3 and 6 fatty acids that is specially formulated to meet the nutritional needs of severe GI compromised patients.
Pack Size: 500g
Semital is lactose, gluten and sugar free. Therefore, Semital is ideal for patients who may suffer from diarrhoea due to lactose intolerance and safe for those patients who may have gluten sensitivity and diabetes.
NOT FOR PARENTERAL USE: This product is a medical food intended for use under medical supervision. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Ingredients: Hydrolyzed Whey Protein, Maltodextrin, Medium Chain Triglycerides, FOS, EPRO, DHA, L-Carnitine, Taurine, Vitamin Mix, Mineral Mix, Sucralose. Contains added flavour.
- Hydrolyzed Whey Protein: Predigested protein that is rapidly digested, easily absorbed and fastens muscle recovery.
- MCT's: Higher amount of MCT's which are easily digested, absorbed and serves as a source of instant cellular energy to promote faster healing.
- Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids: Act as anti-inflammatory and reduce the harmful cholesterol.
- Fibres: Maintain a healthy digestive tract.
- Vitamins and minerals: Vitamin A, C and E, Zinc and Selenium act as antioxidants that get absorbed and attach to free radicals preventing them from attacking the normal cells. The vitamins and minerals meet the increased requirements during hypercatabolic state.
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Short bowel syndrome
- Pancreatic insufficiency
- Intolerance to polymeric formula
- Radiation enteritis
- Chronic diarrhea
- Weaning from TPN to EN
|Energy per serving with water (45g)||210.6 Kcal|
|Osmolality||236 - 240 mOsm/kg|
|Osmolarity||176 - 180 mOsm/L|
|Glycemic Index||50 – 53|
|Glycemic Load||30 – 32|
|Volume after Reconstitution|
|With water||208 ml|
|Kcal/ml with water||0.98 Kcal/ml|
|Proteins||Hydrolyzed Whey Protein|
|Fats||DHA, Evening Primrose Oil Powder|