Immunonutrition refers to addition of some specific nutrients in enteral nutrition which can help to increase the immune function, reduce the inflammatory reaction and septic complications. Injured patients show metabolic changes and immunosuppression, with an increased risk of infection and post-traumatic organ failure. Patients in the intensive care unit are at high risk of glutamine depletion and subsequent complications. Several controlled studies and a meta-analysis have concluded that glutamine supplementation has beneficial effects on the clinical outcome of critically ill and surgical patients. These results may be explained by glutamine's influences on the inflammatory response, oxidative stress, cell protection, and the gut barrier.
In addition, glutamine stimulates enterocyte proliferation and decreases human intestinal epithelial cell apoptosis. Glutamine also stimulates intestinal protein synthesis in epithelial cell lines. In surgical patients, glutamine maintains muscle and plasma GSH concentrations to the preoperative level.
Glutamine has a protective effect on cells by inducing the production of heat shock proteins, which protect cells against toxic agents or pathologic insults. In critically patients with sepsis, early enteral immunonutrition with immunomodulators such as glutamine, vitamin C and E, beta carotene, selenium, arginine and zinc result in significant reduction in oxidative stress and faster recovery of organ functions.
Evia Nutrition has recently launched an immunonutrition supplement – Glutarich IM for critically ill patients admitted to ICU with mild to moderate sepsis, head and neck cancer surgery, upper GI cancer surgery, acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and severe acute lung injury etc. Glutarich IM is fortified with omega 3 & omega 6 fatty acids, arginine, anti oxidants Beta carotene, Selenium, Vitamin E, Zinc and higher amounts of Vitamin C to fasten the healing process and reduce hospital stay.
Pack Size:15g sachet
NOT FOR PARENTERAL USE: This product is a medical food intended for use under medical supervision. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Ingredients:L-Glutamine, Maltodextrin, Evening Primrose Oil Powder, Arginine, DHA, Micronutrient Mix, Sucralose, Citric acid and Natural Orange flavour
Glutarich IM contains:
- L – Glutamine: A conditionally essential amino acid in catabolic stress of illness or injury which boost immune function, increase muscle mass required for protein synthesis and serves as a source of cellular energy next to glucose.
- Arginine: Arginine helps in protein synthesis, collagen deposition, production of nitric oxide and maintaining immune and hormone function which help in faster wound healing, treatment of pressure ulcers and reduced hospital stay.
- Omega 3 & 6 Fatty acids: Act as anti inflammatory and protect against cardiovascular diseases.
- Vitamins and minerals: The micronutrients serve as anti oxidants. Micronutrients like Vitamin E, minerals selenium and zinc high amount of Vitamin C detoxify (scavenge) free radical species formed in the body, reduce oxidative stress and protect body cells from oxidative damage.
- Mild to moderate sepsis
- Head and neck cancer surgery
- Upper GI cancer surgery
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ADRS)
- Severe acute lung injury
- Bone marrow transplantation
- Severe burns
|Energy per serving with water (15g)||20.5 Kcal|
|Energy per serving with whole milk (30g)||290 - 295 mOsm/kg|
|Osmolality||260 - 265 mOsm/L||Glycemic Index||17 - 20|
|Volume after Reconstitution|
|With water||110 ml||Kcal/ml with whole milk||0.18 Kcal/ml|
|Fats||Evening Primrose Oil Powder, DHA|