Protein-energy malnutrition (PEM) is a condition arising from a sustained inadequacy in the quantity of protein and/or energy needed to meet the metabolic demands of the body. Primary PEM occurs when this inability to meet metabolic demands arises from insufficient dietary intake. Secondary PEM arises when illness or other factors impair the uptake or utilization of nutrients, increase protein or energy requirements, or increase metabolic losses beyond nutrient availability. Acute illness usually creates PEM through a combination of primary and secondary mechanisms.
Ten percent (10%) unintentional loss of usual body weight equals to 15-20% loss of total body protein. A loss beyond 20% of total body protein is that level of depletion where widespread impairments in physiologic systems are observed (impairments in immunologic, pulmonary, cardiac, skeletal muscle function). Essentially all these adverse effects of secondary PEM are reversible with aggressive nutritional support. Adverse clinical outcomes of substantial PEM include: higher rates of morbidity and mortality, an extended period of rehabilitation or hospitalization, and a higher cost of medical care. These may be mitigated by diligent attention to nutritional needs.
CritiCare brings to you a high protein energy dense nutrition supplement – Optimaxe for patients with secondary protein energy malnutrition. Optimaxe is nutritionally complete with all essential micronutrients and is fortified with omega 3 & omega 6 fatty acids, alpha lipoic acid and dietary fiber.
Flavors: Vanilla and Chocolate
Pack Size: 200g
NOT FOR PARENTERAL USE: This product is a medical food intended for use under medical supervision. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Ingredients: Whey Protein Concentrate, Soya Protein Isolate, Maltodextrin, Dietary Fiber, EPRO, DHA, Vitamin Mix, Mineral Mix, Sucralose. Contains added flavour.
- High protein: 45g/100g of a combination of whey protein concentrate and soya protein isolate which are high biological value proteins with PDCAAS score of 1 that ensure highest bioavailability and are easily digestible. Adequate protein is essential for reducing the risk of weight loss, muscle wasting and faster recovery from illness.
- Dietary fiber: FOS serves as a prebiotic increasing the overall gut health, regulates bowel movements, reduces cholesterol levels and controls blood glucose levels.
- Omega 3 & Omega 6 fatty acids: Act as anti-inflammatory and lower the risk of heart diseases.
- Alpha lipoic acid: Acts as a super anti oxidant, serves as a coenzyme and repairs oxidative damage.
- Vitamins and minerals: The essential vitamins and minerals combat deficiencies of secondary PEM. Micronutrients like Vitamins A, C, E & minerals selenium and zinc detoxify (scavenge) free radical species formed in the body and protect body cells from oxidative damage.
- Protein energy malnutrition.
- Protein and micronutrient deficiency in Tuberculosis.
- Malnutrition due to HIV wasting.
- Patients undergoing Total Knee Replacement & bariatric surgery.
- Problems in swallowing, chewing or digesting food.
- Loss of appetite & nausea.
- Malignant tumors
|Energy per serving with water (30g)||114.6 Kcal|
|Energy per serving with whole milk (30g)||181.2 Kcal|
|Osmolality||310 - 320 mOsm/kg|
|Osmolarity||222 - 229 mOsm/L|
|Glycemic Index||39 - 41|
|Glycemic Load||19 - 20|
|Volume after Reconstitution|
|With water||116 ml|
|With whole milk||116 ml|
|Kcal/ml with water||0.9 Kcal/ml|
|Kcal/ml with whole milk||1.56 Kcal/ml|
|Proteins||Whey Protein Concentrate and Soya Protein Isolate|
|Fats||Evening Primrose Oil Powder, DHA, GLA|