Wound management is a significant and growing health burden on the Indian community. Delayed wound healing and wound infection place a substantial financial burden on health care systems, as a result of increasing dependency and increased hospital admissions. Chronic wounds also have a very large social and quality of life impact on individuals and careers.
Nutrition plays an essential role in wound healing and wound care practices, and nutritional support needs to be considered a fundamental part of wound management. Attending to nutrition in wound care is also cost-effective. Poor nutrition before or during the healing process may delay healing and impair wound strength, making the wound more prone to breakdown. Neglecting the nutritional health of an individual with a wound can compromise the entire wound management process.
By combining knowledge of the wound healing process together with best practice provision of nutrition, healthcare professionals can help decrease the morbidity and mortality associated with chronic wounds as well as reducing their cost and impact.
Examples of wounds that may become chronic:
- Pressure ulcers
- Post-operative wounds
- Diabetic foot ulcer
- Ulcers on legs and feet
- Venous leg ulcers
- Amputation wounds
Flavors: Vanilla and Chocolate
Pack Size: 200g
Nutrizen is lactose, gluten and sugar free. Therefore, Nutrizen is ideal for patients who may suffer from diarrhoea due to lactose intolerance and safe for those patients who may have gluten sensitivity and diabetes.
NOT FOR PARENTERAL USE: This product is a medical food intended for use under medical supervision. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Ingredients: Whey protein concentrate, Whey protein isolate, Soya protein isolate, Maltodextrin, Oleic sunflower oil powder, EPRO, DHA, Cocoa Powder, L-Glutamine, L-Arginine, Collagen, Vitamin mix, Mineral mix, Sucralose. Contains added flavour.
- Macronutrients: Adequate amounts of macronutrients such as fats, carbohydrates and proteins are included to assist in the development, maintenance and growth of new body tissues and faster wound repair.
- Collagen: Increases the amino acid pool thereby accelerates wound healing, skin growth and tissue formation.
- Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids: Reduce inflammation and boost immune response for faster wound healing.
- Glutamine & Arginine: Boost immune responsiveness and assist in chronic wound healing. Dietary supplementation with Arginine has been shown to enhance protein metabolism, helping to decrease muscle loss, and collagen synthesis, which helps to increase the strength of the wound. Arginine is also effective in healing chronic ulcers in people with diabetes (ultimately helping to reduce leg amputations).
- Vitamins and minerals: Vitamin A, C and E along with Zinc act as antioxidants, stimulate collagen synthesis and reduce injury to the wound by controlling excessive free radicals, thereby the vitamins and minerals have a well-established role in wound care and promote quick healing of wound in diabetic foot ulcer.
- Pressure Ulcers
- Diabetics with foot ulcers
- Post surgical wound healing
- Minor wounds or cuts, bed sores, lacerations etc.
|Energy per serving with water (30g)||107.5 Kcal|
|Energy per serving with whole milk (30g)||173.5 Kcal|
|Osmolality||204 - 212 mOsm/kg|
|Osmolarity||169 - 175 mOsm/L|
|Glycemic Index||40 - 45|
|Glycemic Load||23 - 26|
|Volume after Reconstitution|
|With water||116 ml|
|With whole milk||116 ml|
|Kcal/ml with water||1.09 Kcal/ml|
|Kcal/ml with whole milk||1.56 Kcal/ml|
|Proteins||Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate and Soya Protein Isolate|
|Fats||Evening Primrose Oil Powder, Oleic Sunflower Oil Powder, DHA|